10 October 2008

Porsche buying Volkswagon?


Word on the street says that Porsche might just buy Volkswagen Auto Group.   Sounds odd, right?  I mean, Porsche is this little niche maker who nearly went bankrupt in the late 80's.   And VAG is huge -- for those not in the know, Volkswagen also owns Audi, along with several other manufacturers like Lamborghini.  

But the real secret is that Porsche has been buying up VAG stock for years, and has a majority share in the company.   Now they just want to own it outright and buy out the current legal ower Lower Saxony.  They're close to doing it and just might pull the trigger.  

I think it's interesting and neat, partially because I own a Porsche, but also because I wonder what Porsche would do and could do with all of these companies under their umbrella.  I will say that my Porsche is an amazing machine, and it amazes me how it does everything so well without much compromise (I can't carry three people, but oh well, I haven't owned a car with a backseat since 1999) and without breaking or needing much maintenence (my first scheduled maintenence/oil change was at 20k miles).    And then I think about how Porsche was nearly bankrupt not 10 years ago and think what an amazing board of directors this company must have.   What in the world could Volkswagon, Audi, and Lamborghini look like after 10 years under Porsche's leadership? 

They might well be the GM of this generation. 

No comments: